Monday afternoon I had my 39 week (!!!!!) checkup scheduled with my doctor. I ended up seeing a different doctor because my doctor was at the hospital delivering a baby. :) I had never met with this doctor, but she was very sweet and friendly. After our exam, she asked for me to have an ultrasound the following day to check amniotic fluid and baby's growth.
I was so excited to have another ultrasound, even though I knew the baby's face would most likely not really be visible. There's just no more space for baby to go so you can't get any good pictures! And, any chance to hear the baby's heartbeat makes me so happy. :)
At today's ultrasound, the tech had a difficult time finding enough amniotic fluid to measure. She was able to measure about 7 cm, where at this stage in my pregnancy there should be above 10 cm. At 5 cm, the doctor would've made me go straight to the hospital. Imagine hearing that information for what you think is a routine ultrasound! The tech called the doctor I had seen yesterday because she was the one who had ordered the ultrasound and then I went to her office to meet with her.
Rob wasn't at this appointment because it was scheduled so last minute and we thought it was just completely a routine ultrasound. I started to get really anxious at this point--both because Rob wasn't there and because I wasn't meeting with my doctor. I LOVE my doctor and feel like we are on the same page in regards to the way I'd ideally like our baby's birth to go.
Meeting with this doctor was fine, but she was a little bit more forceful than my doctor normally is. She told me I needed to be induced for the baby's health within the next few days. I immediately started crying, because this was in no way the way I wanted our baby to come into the world. I think I would've felt better if this was my doctor telling me this, rather than a doctor I had seen for approximately 15 minutes.
I also had done some research on this ultrasound to measure amniotic fluid and found that the ultrasound is notoriously unreliable because the baby is taking up so much space there can be problems finding the fluid in general--but it is there. Finding out that we were being asked to induce delivery based off of an unreliable test is so stressful. Obviously, the health of the baby is the most important thing to everyone involved, but being induced isn't always the healthiest decision to make.
So, I did what this doctor asked--I scheduled an induction for Wednesday evening. I did ask for my own doctor to call me after reviewing my files to make sure she would make the same recommendations. I have yet to make any progress--either on effacement or dilation--so the induction process is not something I am looking forward to at all.
For our induction, I will go to the hospital tomorrow evening. When we check in, I will be administer Cervadil and a foley bulb catheter to manually start the opening of my cervix. I also have to be on antibiotics because I'm Group B Strep positive. Lots of things happening that are stressful to me--but my doctor DID call me this afternoon and confirm that she would have made the same decisions as this other doctor. This was such a relief to me because I really trust her opinion.
Not to be negative about this other doctor, but I do not feel like she was understanding or respectful of our wishes for delivery. She told me I needed to get the idea of a Bradley birth completely out of my head unless I wanted to be in labor for days (yes days!). I know this isn't the case, but it only stressed me out even more.
I spoke with my doctor this afternoon and she did confirm that she would've made the same decision as the other doctor. Just hearing that she would have made the same decision was the biggest relief to me. I am still anxious about being induced, but I do feel much more calm!
While I would never have wished for an induction, it has been nice knowing exactly when we will be going to the hospital and being able to plan over a 36 hour period. Rob was able to put together the swing tonight and I am able to compulsively clean our floors one last time. And, we are able to make babysitting arrangements for our pets. :)
I'll hopefully be back sometime early next week to share the good news of our baby girl or baby boy's birth! :)